wash (Wide Area SHell)
wash helps you deal with all your remote or cloud-native infrastructure using the UNIX-y patterns and tools you already know and love!
For an introduction to Wash, see our main site at https://pup.pt/wash.
We're actively soliciting community feedback and input on our roadmap! Don't hesitate to file issues for new features, new plugin types, new primitives, new command-line tools, or anything else that crosses your mind. You can also chat with us directly on
#wash on Slack. Please abide by our code of conduct when interacting with the community.
See the roadmap below to see what we've got planned!
We'd also love to get contributions from you! For a quick guide, take a look at our guide to contributing.
See https://pup.pt/wash/#getting-started for pre-requisites to run Wash.
Wash is a single binary application written in Go. It uses Go modules to identify dependencies.
To build it, run
go build. To test, run
Requires golang 1.12+.
Project maintainers are not actively working on all of these things, but any of these are directions we would support others in pursuing.
- [ ] file/directory upload (prereq for executing commands that aren't just one-liners)
- [ ] edit a resource (e.g. edit a file representing a k8s ConfigMap, and upon write save it via the k8s api)
- [ ] delete a resource (e.g.
rm-ing a file in an S3 bucket deletes it)
- [ ] signal handling to represent basic verbs (e.g. sending a TERM to an EC2 instance will terminate it)
- [ ] copy / move / rename (how should this work?)
- [ ] make
streamable to "go back in time" (e.g. support
tail -100 -fstyle of "look-back")
- [ ] rad startup ASCII art logo (<- high priority!)
- [X] expose plugin configuration via main config file
- [ ] expose what API calls are in-flight (to report status on large, distributed calls)
- [ ] colorized output for
ls, similar to
- [ ] make
lsemit something useful when used against non-
- [ ]
execshould work in parallel across multiple target resources
- [ ] build an interactive shell that works over
exec(need to update plugins API to support this, most likely)
- [ ] a version of
topthat works using
washprimitives to get information to display from multiple targets
Plugins / content
|Persistent Volume Claims||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|generic k8s resources||○||○|
|pubsub (e.g. SNS)||○||○||○|
|databases (e.g. dynamo, RDS)||○||○||○||○||○|
|networking (e.g. ELB, Route53)||○||○||○||○||○|
|Network Devices (e.g. Cisco)||○||○||○||○||○|
|IoT (e.g. Nest, Hue, Rachio)||○||○||○||○||○|
✓ = Implemented ○ = Possible, but not yet implemented